- Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) Projects
- FDOT Project on the US1 Bridge
FDOT Project on the US1 Bridge
The design plans for the replacement of the US 1 bridge are close to being finalized, and a contractor will be chosen this spring. The first phase of construction, beginning this summer, will be a series of intersection improvements along the planned detour routes. Intersections that will be improved include Indiantown Road and Alternate A1A, Indiantown Road and US 1 and Alternate A1A and US 1.
The temporary detour for the bridge construction will begin in the spring of 2023, and will last approximately 20 months. Construction is scheduled to be complete in mid-2025. When a contractor is chosen, certain phases of the construction may be modified.
Testing of some of the construction methods started in December, so residents may see equipment adjacent to the bridge. This activity is not directly related to the bridge replacement project, but is in preparation for it.
FDOT held an informative open house on March 5, 2020, to discuss upcoming construction related to the US 1 Bridge Replacement Project. Presentation of proposed US1 Bridge from March 5, 2020, open house
- Bridge replacement that provides improved navigation clearances of 35 feet vertical and 125 feet horizontal
- Bicycle lanes and sidewalks on both sides of the bridge
- Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) to be provided. ITS uses technology to improve traffic flow which makes a facility safer and less congested.
- Improve traffic operations at Alternate A1A and Dixie Highway by reconfiguring intersection and adding a traffic signal
FDOT maintains the current project page for information on cost, timing and design Opens in New Window . Current FDOT plans call for the closure and detours to begin in Fall 2022.
At the April 16, 2019 Town Council meeting, representatives of FDOT gave a presentation on the status of the design, the timing, and the proposal for full closures and detours. View that presentation here, or watch the video Opens in New Window of the discussion at the meeting.