In 1926, James E. Williams Sr. was the first Chief of Police for the Town of Jupiter.
In 1928, the Town established an ordinance for the Department of Public Welfare to ensure the maintenance and discipline of the police department. This included the care and custody of the Town jail and all ordinances to be enforced and adequately policed.
Today, the department’s authorized strength is 118 sworn officers and 39 civilian support staff members.
The organization is divided into three bureaus consisting of the Operations Support Bureau, Patrol Bureau, and the Administrative Services Bureau. Within these bureaus are additional divisions and units that provide specialized law enforcement services.
The Jupiter Police Department is internationally accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc. (CALEA) and state accredited by the Commission for Florida Law Enforcement Accreditation, Inc. (CFA). The department prides itself on the highest standards of policing and law enforcement services to our residents, business owners, and visitors.