Jupiter Housing Standards Code
In an ongoing effort to provide a safe and pleasant environment for all residents of the Town of Jupiter, Town Code Chapter 21, Article VIII, Section 254 addresses such issues as density control, neighborhood stability and adequate dwelling size for residents. These regulations are intended to maintain the health and cleanliness of the Town and to insure sanitary conditions in all habitable buildings. The ordinance requires that all dwelling structures, foundations, exterior walls & doors, roofs, interior partitions & interior walls, floors, ceilings and windows be watertight, weatherproof, rodent-proof, insect-proof and in good repair.
- Every dwelling must be clean, sanitary, in habitable condition and free from infestation.
- Each bedroom occupied by one adult shall contain at least 70 square feet of floor area (10’ x 7’).
- Each bedroom occupied by more than one adult person shall contain at least 50 square feet of floor area for each occupant (10’ x 5’).
- Each habitable room shall contain appropriate electric and lighting outlets, including smoke detectors.
- Each habitable room shall have at least one window opening directly to the outdoors.
- Each dwelling unit shall contain at least one kitchen sink and at least one bathroom with a bathtub or shower properly connected with hot and cold water lines.
- Kitchens shall not be used for sleeping purposes.
- Each dwelling unit shall be supplied with adequate rubbish storage facilities.
- Each dwelling unit shall have adequate garbage disposal facilities or garbage storage containers located on the premises.
- Each dwelling unit shall have a water heater properly installed, capable of supplying an adequate amount of hot water at every required kitchen sink, lavatory basin, bathtub and shower.
- Avoid causing a violation of the owner’s responsibilities as cited above.
- Keep the dwelling or premises in a clean and sanitary condition.
- Dispose of rubbish and garbage in a clean and sanitary manner.
- Hang and maintain screens provided by the owner.
- Keep plumbing fixtures in a clean and sanitary condition.
- Exterminate any insects, rodents or other pests in the dwelling or on the premises.
Reported violations of these minimum housing standards within the Town of Jupiter will be investigated and strictly enforced.