Historic Resources Board Accomplishments
2000 – The 1st Historic Resources Board (HRB) is formed and consists of the following Members: Harry Iceland (Chairman); Patricia Magrogan; Vicki Silver; Patricia Walsh and Ken Rice. The 1st HRB meeting is on May 8, 2000.
2001 – The Town is awarded a matching grant from the Florida Department of State – Division of Historical Resources to complete a historical structure and archaeological resources survey. The HRB is expanded to seven members, Chris Edwards and William Upthegrove are appointed to the Board.
2003 – The historic and archaeological preservation division of the Town Code is amended to establish sections pertaining to historic and archaeological variances, other incentives and tax exemptions for locally designated historic sites. Jamie Stuve is appointed to the Board.
2004 – The Town is granted a land patent from the U.S. Department of Interior for the 17.8 acres of the Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse Reservation property for recreation and public purposes. The property includes the historic WWII Naval Housing Building. Wendy Harrison and Alyse Porter are appointed to the Board.
2005 – The HRB approves an archaeological Certificate to Dig for the River Hammock project residential properties, which is located along the north shore of the Loxahatchee River. The Town Council approves $1 million for the renovation of the WWII Naval Housing Building. Joan Hudiburg is appointed to the Board.
2006 – The Town Council approves the new Sawfish Bay Park as the Town's 1st local historically designated site. The HRB approves Florida Historical Markers for the WWII Naval Housing Building and Sawfish Bay Park. On December 7, 2006 the WWII Naval Housing Building is rededicated and is the new home of the Loxahatchee River Historical Society.
2007 – The HRB approves two archaeological Certificates to Dig for the portion of Palm Beach County's Riverbend park located in the Town. The HRB provides text to Palm Beach County to be used for a Riverbend Park 2nd Seminole War Florida Historical Marker. William Wood is appointed to the Board.
2008 – The Town Council approves the WWII Naval Housing Building as the Town's 2nd local historically designated site. The HRB approves Florida Historical Markers for Historic Military Trial and the Historic Jupiter School. The HRB provides text to Palm Beach County to be used for another Riverbend Park 2nd Seminole War Florida Historical Marker. Paul Drahnak is appointed to the Board.
2009 – The Town Council approves the Jupiter Inlet Village Marina property as the Town's 3rd local historically designated site. The HRB approves Florida Historical Markers for the Jupiter Lifesaving Station and the Celestial Railroad. Nilsa Zacarias and Vincent DeVito are appointed to the Board.
2010 – The Town Council approves the Jupiter Civic Center building as the Town's 4th local historically designated site. The Palm Beach County Board of County Commissioners (PBC-BCC) renames a portion of Riverbend Park to "Loxahatchee River Battlefield Park." This new name had previously been jointly recommended to the PBC-BCC by the Historic Resources Board and the Palm Beach County Historic Resources Review Board. The Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse Outstanding Natural Area (JILONA) Comprehensive Management Plan is approved by all JILONA partners (U.S. Department of the interior - Bureau of Land Management, Palm Beach County, Town of Jupiter, Village of Tequesta and the Loxahatchee River Historical Society).
2011 - The Town Council approves a Comprehensive Plan amendment to include the historic Jupiter Presbyterian Church (circa 1920) as a historically significant structure meriting Town protection. The HRB approves the Florida Historical Marker for the Jupiter Inlet Shipwrecks. Carlos Bonilla is appointed to the Board.
2012 - The historic Florida East Coast (FEC) Railroad Jupiter Train Depot (circa 1915) is moved from the Village of Tequesta to the Town's Sawfish Bay Park. The Loxahatchee Guild will be working with the Town to fundraise and restore the Train Depot. The Town Council approves an amendment to the historic and archaeological preservation division of the Town Code to allow up to three non-residents serve as HRB members. David Drahos, Lynn Drake and Don Youatt are appointed to the Board.
2014 – Historical interpretive signage text and graphics are approved and installed for the Harbourside Project along the Town’s Riverwalk. Plaques are dedicated commemorating the Town’s local historical designations of the WWII Naval Housing Building, Peoples Congregational Church and the Cabot Oak tree in Sawfish Bay Park. Jamie Stuve, CEO and President of the Loxahatchee River Historical Society, is appointed to the Board.
2015 - The Town Council approves the Jupiter 1915 FEC Railroad Train Depot as the 6th local historically designated site. The exterior of the building is restored, including a new roof and a replica of the original window. the building is painted its original color know as "Flagler Yellow". The HRB begins work on creating text for two exterior historical interpretive signs (3' by 5' in size) for Sawfish Bay Park near the FEC Train Depot. Debi Murray, Chief Curator of the Historical Society of Palm Beach County, is appointed to the Board.
2016 - Restoration work on the Jupiter 1915 FEC Railroad Train Depot continues. An exterior deck (with attached lighting) and brick paver area on the north side of the building are added. Original bricks from the foundation of the historic train are used in the paver area. An interior improvement to the building includes historic period (1950s) lighting. A public open house for the Train Depot is held in June. The Board approves the text and graphics for the two Sawfish Bay Park historical interpretive signs. Patricia Estabrook, an interior designer with an educational background in historic preservation, and Brett Leone, an urban planner, are appointed to the Board.
2017 - The Town is awarded a $14,000 grant from the Florida Department of State - Division of Historical Resources to develop interpretive historical signage for the interior of the Jupiter 1915 FEC Railroad Train Depot. The Town Council approves Zoning Code text amendments to allow for limited commercial uses through adaptive reuse of historic structures, as a incentive to locally designate significant historical structures. The text amendments also allow Limited commercial uses as a special exception use in the Single-Family Residential (R-1) zoning district, for structures that are locally designated historic. The Town Council also approves a Zoning Code text amendment to allow for an alternate member to be appointed to the Board (eighth member). The Board approves an archaeological Certificate to Dig for the Kempe West property in the Inlet Village. Nicolette Asselin, a curator for a historical society, Yanmei Li, an Associate Professor of Urban and Regional Planning at Florida Atlantic University and Brad Mayo, a real estate broker and lifelong Jupiter resident, are appointed to the Board.
2018 - The Town Council approves a single-family home at 322 Center Street (the Sims House) as the Town's 7th local historically designated site. The Town Council also approves a special exception and site plan for the adaptive reuse of the Sims House for a restaurant and retail food establishment. One of the oldest remaining single-family houses in the Town (the 1913 Aicher Pioneer Home) located adjacent to the Town Hall Park is donated to the Town and moved next to the 1915 FEC Railroad Train Depot inn Sawfish Bay Park. The Town Council approves Zoning Code text amendments to add two at-large members to the Historic Resources Board. The text amendments also allow three Board positions to be filled by individuals that do not meet the professional requirements noted in the Town's historic preservation regulations, as long as they demonstrate a special interest, or knowledge of, the Town's history. The Train Depot interior museum interpretive panels are completed and installed. The Town has a Train Depot open house in December, Sara Misselhorn, a history teacher at the Benjamin School and Teri Grooms, a professional Chef (both are longtime Jupiter residents with an interest in its history) are appointed to the Board.