Can I get a variance for the use I want on my property?
You may never apply for a variance for a use. Variances only apply toward regulations of the code, such as setbacks, height requirements, lot coverage, etc when a hardship can be demonstrated. Whether a certain use is "by-right", "special exception", or prohibited can not be changed by a variance as it is not the approriate article of law. Changes in use regulations (or "what can go where") must occur through a Zoning Text and/or Comprehensive Plan Amendment.

Show All Answers

1. What is the current zoning and land use designation of my property?
2. What are the required setbacks for my property?
3. Click here for more FAQs
4. What are overlay districts?
5. What is a variance?
6. Can I get a variance for the use I want on my property?
7. How do I get a copy of a permitted site plan or an old survey of my home?
8. What is an easement?
9. What is my PCN (Property Control Number)?
10. May I split my property into two or more parcels?
11. What is the Comprehensive Plan?
12. What is the difference between a Future Land Use and a zoning district?
13. Where is the Town's inventory of lands appropriate for affordable housing (per Senate bill 102 - Live Local Act)?