Jupiter's Flood HazardsWith the Loxahatchee River running through town, and the Jupiter Inlet and open Atlantic Ocean to its east, Jupiter and the surrounding area is vulnerable to flooding from seasonal rains and hurricanes. Most vulnerable are low-lying areas, areas along canals and lakes, and coastal areas prone to tidal surges. Because Jupiter’s flood hazard areas are quite scattered, every property has the potential to experience flooding.
Preparing for a FloodIf you live in an area prone to flooding, you may need to secure your home against flooding or even evacuate. Some actions you should take to secure your home or before you evacuate are listed below:
- Bring in outdoor furniture.
- Move essential items to an upper floor or elevate them.
- Turn off utilities at the main switches or valves if instructed to do so.
- Disconnect electrical appliances. Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water.
- Do not walk through moving water; six inches of moving water can make you fall. If you must walk in water, walk where the water is not moving.
- Use a stick to check the firmness of the ground in front of you.
- Do not drive into flooded areas. If floodwaters rise around your car, abandon the car and move to higher ground, if you can do so safely. You and the vehicle can be quickly swept away.
- FEMA Flood Information
- Town of Jupiter Area Flood Zone Map
- Town of Jupiter Hurricane and Flood Page
- Complete Guide to Flood Safety and Preparedness